Hope Alive is currently hiring a Part-Time Staff Counselor!
Staff Counselor Job Description
Job Title: Staff Counselor
Location: Fort Wayne, IN
Hours: 20-25 hours per week; flexible schedule. 1 Evening per week expected.
Summary of Work:
The Staff Counselor reports directly to the Executive Director and is responsible for providing outpatient Christian counseling services for Hope Alive residents including conducting intakes/evaluations and completing all necessary documentation. The counselor will also assist in leading therapeutic group therapy sessions and teaching seminars for residents as needed. Finally, the counselor will participate in staff meetings, clinical supervision, and be part of the team in executing the mission of Hope Alive.
What is Hope Alive and how does the Staff Counselor fit into the organization?
Hope Alive is a Christian non-profit organization whose mission is “to provide hope and encouragement with Christ-like love to emotionally hurting people”. We accomplish our mission through two primary programs: Transitional Housing for Women and Low-Cost Community Counseling. Hope Alive prides itself on being a close-knit staff whose goal is to treat every client like family as we believe it is through these relationships that change happens. The Staff Counselor will provide outpatient Christian counseling services to our residents. As needed, the Staff Counselor may also provide counseling for community clients as well.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Provides quality Christ-based diagnosis and treatment of mental health and substance use disorders for women in Transitional Housing Program
- Conducts clinical interviews to assess client needs/concerns and create clinically appropriate therapeutic goals
- Integrates Christian faith into sessions as clinically and ethically appropriate
- Provides spiritual guidance through the demonstration of Christ’s love.
- Completes all necessary clinical documentation including Biopsychosocial summaries, treatment plans, progress notes, monthly progress reports as needed, and termination plans.
- Collaborates with clients to monitor and evaluate effectiveness of therapy progress related to established goals.
- Provides case management and coordination of care with staff and other providers such as psychiatrists, psychologists, hospitals, social and case workers, courts, division of family & children’s services, mental health agencies, and prisons.
- Leads therapy groups on therapeutic topics appropriate to client needs at the time such as healthy relationships, substance recovery, conflict management, life skill building, trauma recovery, etc.
- Work closely and collaboratively with other advocates and Hope Alive staff
- Other duties as assigned to meet the organization’s goals
While no one person will have all the qualities enumerated below, the successful candidate will bring many of the following qualifications and attributes:
- Minimum: Master’s degree level in the field of counseling, mental health or related social service discipline with goal of obtaining Indiana state licensure
Knowledge and Experience:
- Unwavering commitment to the vision, values, and mission of Hope Alive
- Commitment to Christ with a servant-leader attitude
- Working knowledge of clinical best-practices in treating a wide range of mental disorders including depression, substance use, and post-traumatic stress disorder.
- Commitment to continuing education and seeking updated information on field related research.
- Adherence to ethical codes and standards such as those outlined in the American Counseling Association (ACA) code of ethics.
- Strong customer service skills with ability to communicate and provide compassionate care in a professional manner to diverse individuals
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Detail oriented and organized, with a strong commitment to follow-through and meeting deadlines.
- Highly trustworthy, must be able to maintain strict confidentiality
- Demonstrate personal integrity and sound judgment
- Flexibility to change work hours as needed
Physical/Mental Essential Requirements:
- Walking, standing, bending, stooping, reaching, moderate lifting and carrying (up to thirty (30) pounds).
- Full range of body motion including manual and finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination and the ability to walk up and down a flight of stairs
- Requires corrected vision and hearing to normal range
- Occasional need to stand for long periods of time
- Ability to sit in session for extended periods of time
- Ability to focus on detail and accuracy of work product
- Work is performed primarily in a non-smoking office environment
- Occasional high stress may be experienced in dealing with clients, staff, and volunteers
All Hope Alive staff and volunteers are required to sign our Statement of Faith.
Unlicensed clinicians will be provided quality licensed supervision hours in preparation for licensure!
Hope Alive offers the following benefits to our Staff Counselor:
- Paid vacation
- Paid sick leave
- 13 paid holidays
To Apply submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Counselor Application” in the subject line.
We regularly accept resumes and cover letters for Master’s level Counseling interns. Please contact Dawn Etzel for more information: email@example.com